Friday, February 24, 2012

Another Troublesome Feature of This Overlong Primary Season

Today I received yet another email request for money, allegedly for the purpose of making phone calls, to defeat Romney in the Michigan primary next week.

Rick Santorum is doing everything he can to fight Romney on TV right now. Unfortunately, that means he doesn't have much money left over for critical voter identification and get-out-the-vote phone calls that need to be made in the next 24-48 hours. That's where we come in.

Our plan is to spend the next 72 hours calling Michigan voters, identifying Santorum supporters, and getting them out to vote on Election Day. In a close election, it could be the difference between defeating Mitt Romney and allowing him to be our GOP nominee. [Emphasis in original]

Their stated goal was slightly above $30K. I'd be more than happy to contribute if I felt it wasn't going to pay media for anything. Money being fungible, who the heck knows what they'll do with any excess? (I've come in contact with professional political background guys many times over the years, and each time I felt I needed a shower immediately afterward.)

Gee. You'd think that maybe instead of money they'd be seeking volunteers to aid in making phone calls. (And based on my own behavior lately, I'm not even sure it will help. I screen everything coming in, and hardly answer any non-personal calls anymore.)

Yes. I know the problem with that approach. Who can the campaign trust? I could see Romney or Obama supporters volunteering to call on behalf of Santorum. And the Santorum forces should believe them, right?  Bzzzzz.

Well, perhaps by reading a few blogs and seeing who is likely to be a Santorum supporter, or at least an anybody-but-Romney type, they'd be better off leaving comments at sites such as this and asking for volunteers.

Gee, why would *I* be suspicious of purely money soliciting emails like this one?

Damn I'd like to help, but I'm constrained by the worry that my money has a greater chance of going directly to keep alive our worst enemy -- the numerous media outlets -- so it may continue to peddle its lies to further its Draconian agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats