Friday, March 04, 2011

Second Thoughts

I've had some second thoughts on the video I called your attention to in Violent Leftist Reactionaries. I decided I should pass along to you my sense that some duplicity was either intended or could easily slip into the teaching method being touted there.

The reasons stems from the casual nature of the audience's approval. I shuddered at one of their chuckles — when Dr Mitra told of Arthur C. Clarke’s “a teacher that can be replaced by a machine should be.” Clarke placed no stress on the character of whom was deciding who was to be replaced.

A machine cannot teach ethics beyond the mere listing of what ought be ethical. And that gets reshaped by those who program distant machines.

Watch out for the next generation of the Khmer Rouge or Green Bombers. Children self-taught is the warning of “Lord of the Flies.” Even worse if you then consider “what if the Granny provided is a Frances Fox-Piven?”

From many responses to this video that I've witnessed, it may already be too late to counter that programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats