I've tried to write on this many times. I usually get sidetracked. So before I get bogged down in my attempt to lay this out, here is what I am trying to prove.
- Neither the terms Left nor Right represents a camp that speaks for the majority of Americans.
- The two main parties, Democrats (Left) and Republicans (Right), are scripted opponents.
- For the rest of this exercise, Left or Right will be referring to the the leaders of the respective party.
- It is not true that one of the main parties is as bad as the other. One will take us where most Americans will disapprove faster than the other.
- However, both parties are headed in the same direction: larger government and lessened individual liberties. (How personal freedom diminishes as Statism increases will be examined later.)
- The Left pretty much accepts its extremists (avante garde, shock troops, selected victims of some ism) as it rarely, if ever, speaks against any of them. (In fact, Leftist media never uses the terms "radical" or "Left-wing extremist," making it clear they don't believe someone can be too far left.)
- The Right condemns and marginalizes as extremists any person or group who question the party leadership, and thereby trashes its most impassioned forces that easily could counter balance the Left's extremists. The Right even gets angry with any of its "moderates" who call for plain common-sensible slowdowns. (In fact, Leftist media always uses the term "right wing" or "extreme right wing" for any person or group it does not recognize as left of "center.")
- Both parties are determined to drag the rest of the country with them whether you like it or not.
Those in control positions know what Left and Right effectively means. All eyes are on the professional wrestlers in the ring while the promoters have been slowly moving the arena in the direction of the Soviet Union.
Lately the promoters are convinced they can't be stopped. So they have begun rushing the changes. As a consequence, many more of us are feeling the earth move beneath us. I hope that is reason enough for you to read more of what I have to say on this topic and pass along the ideas to those you speak with.
Jotting all this down without too many excursions is tiring, and I tire easily. With much help from my friends, I hope to continue this soon.
In the meantime, here is Ronald Reagan agreeing with the message I aim to convey to you.
You and I are told increasingly we have to choose between a left or right. Well I'd like to suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There's only an up or down: up to man's age-old dream, the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order, or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism.